Thread: Is registering easy?

Is registering easy?

Hi.
    Can anyone check this?
    I put a question on the registration screen. Can someone check and see if it's too confusing.

Just log out, and pretend like you are a new user who just came to the forum. Click the register button and it takes you to the page with questions, password etc.
    You should see the validation question.
    So far this is stopping spammers very well.

Is it too hard to figure out?

~John

I checked and it is indeed a bit confusing, you should ask a question like: The Pac-Man watch is made by ...... (to find the answer, go here (put a link)) or something just a little harder like : Copy the 6th, 7th and 8th word in this phrase "GameWatchGuys web site is just too awesome and kicks ass." So people would have to copy/paste "too awesome and".

These are just suggestions. It's great to block spammers but if the question is too hard, this will also (mentally in a way) block new members to register.

or you could simply use a Capshaw-like thing to avoid those spammers.
    --- Sly DC ---

Hi.
    The captcha doesn't work any more. I had it enabled and got spam really fast. Even with this forum software which is supposed to be the best and it's up to date.

On one of my guestbooks I had well over 3000 spammers register. Somehow passing the security code. I had no choice but to delete all entries.

One other idea is to manually edit the actual PHP code in the forum and put my own tricks in it. I've did this before and it works well but when it comes time to add an update to the forum it can be tricky.

The question is holding them back well so far.

I would like the question to be a one shot deal, as in they don't have to go somewhere else to find the answer. I like your words idea. I think that will be best!
    Thank you for your help!

~John

No problem John, glad i could be of any help.

P.S.: Think i was too tired since i wrote "Capshaw"" instead of "Captcha"...LOL!!!
    --- Sly DC ---