Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nixon Newton Digital simulator

Nixon Newton Digital simulator

Hi folks!

When i have some spare time (which is rare these days), i'm trying to learn how to code in LUA on the
    Love engine (https://love2d.org/). I already done a Marx TV Tennis simulator and recently released the
    second version.

But after this one, i started to do another simulator which is the Nixon Newton Digital watch. For now, it's
    only simulates all the function of the watch but not the hidden game (will be added in the next version).

If you wanna try it out, first download the executable program (depending your OS) in the link above and then,
    just "drag" the Nixon (v0.1).love file onto the exec program and off it goes!

Here's a screenshot of the simulator:

0preview.jpg

And here's where to download the LOVE file: https://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11845

Let me know what you think of it, thanks!

P.S.: Almost forgot!! Press "F9" to know which buttons to use.
    --- Sly DC ---

Hi.
    Love it. The idea that is. I will test when I get some time later today.

I think we should get together and release a line of digital watches. We can make them resemble 80's watches or just new watches with many games. I have thought about this many times and think it would be awesome. Just knowing what is involved is half the battle.

~John

Hi John!

Thanks! And do let me know what you think about it once you tested it. Any suggestion(s)/comment(s) is always appreciated
    (good or bad ones).

Eeerr..do you mean a line of simulated or real watches ? Because if it is simulated game watches, i have so many in mind to port.
    The next one after the Nixon Newton will be my first ever WWG i gotten (Omni Space Defender). The Nixon Newton simulator is just
    a test to see if i was able to do it (or not).

I'm already doing version 1-1 which corrects a glitch i has and you can choose between 8 different screen displays (Normal, Inverted,
    Red, Green, Blue, Orange, Violet or Vector). If this version works then i'll do the hidden Pong game.

Back to the subject: If it is real watches you meant, well that won't be easy. You and i don't live in the same country for starters but that
    is a minor detail (it's just that meeting in person is a heck of a car drive...lol!). Also, we have to find a company who can do WWG's (well
    Nelsonic still does them or a Chinese or Korean company) and see which minimum quantity they will make and the cost too.

There are so many details to think of for getting a product on the market (market study, copyrights, patent it in case another company
    wants to steal the idea - and a patent cost at least $50,000, etc...) that many would go "Coo-coo for Coco-Puffs".

But i'm all ears, what do you have in mind John ?
    --- Sly DC ---

HI Sly. I haven't had a chance just yet.
    I actually code in both VBA and PHP. I think it might be eay for me to learn. It seems it's probably a high level language. I'm definitely interested.
    Well if we need a 50,000 dollar patent then forget it, at least for now...lol
    ~John

Hi Sly. Just took a look.
    I installed the LOVE and tried it. Not too exciting but the potential is there. I NEEEEDs the game for sure.

Also I like to run in Windowed mode. Any way to make it run small, or in a window only?

I took a tiny look at the documentation and it looks similar to VB. I think I could grasp it quite easy as I code VBA daily.

How easy was it for you to learn?

~John

Hi.
    Just sold my Nixon for $50.
    I told my son about this language and he is trying to get into programming with this. He seems to be moving very slowly.
    ~John

Hi John!

Sorry for the ultra-very-late reply. I'm doing better since some few months ago (you know the story).
    Yeah, i know. LOVE is not the best by far but it has great potential for 2D games (like wrist-watch games).
    To run the Nixon Newton in Windows mode, just press "F1" (and vice-versa if you want it in full screen mode).
    LOVe is actually the language "LUA" which i think is kinda similar cross-over old BASIC and HTML, but VB would be more
    like it. I'm still learning how to program in LUA and i read a lot of source code to see how it done/works, great
    way to learn more/faster.

BTW, if you had press "F9" in the simulator, you would have known how to put in Windows mode. :P
    If you need any help to program in LUA, don't hesitate to contact me.

P.S.: Since december, i have done some other simulators but no game watch ones (yet), just very old
    electro-mechanical handhelds like: Marx TV Tennis, Yonezawa Screen Tennis, Waco Black Jack,
    Waco Draw Poker, Waco Slot Machine and Waco Chuck-A-Luck (very rare handheld).
    --- Sly DC ---

Hi.
    Good to hear from you again. That's so cool. I look forward to more sims (Game watches!) if you happen to make them.
    My son is trying to learn that too. I program in PHP and VBA so I can help him get the jist of it.
    ~John

Hi John!

It's good to be healthier, been on the "downside" for quite a long time but now seems that my health is getting better and better (fingers crossed).
    I will do other WWG sims eventually but i want to finish some others sims first.

So your son is trying to learn LUA ? Great and cool! He should try to make a Pong game for a first try-out. (That's what i've done)
    --- Sly DC ---

Quote Originally Posted by slydc View Post
    Hi John!

It's good to be healthier, been on the "downside" for quite a long time but now seems that my health is getting better and better (fingers crossed).
    That's great to hear!

My son says it's hard because he doesn't like reading to learn. I told him to set a goal, like make a game that way he can learn by working through each problem. That's pretty much how I learned.

~John